Beautiful? Check. Easy to make? Check. Healthy? Hey, they're better for you than a box of chocolates.
For a sweet homemade Valentines Day dessert, try something new – these surprisingly simple baked apple roses!
To make 6 roses, you'll need:
A muffin tin
4 apples, cored and sliced in half (leave the skin on)
Juice of half a lemon
3 Tbsp fruit preserves (apricot, apple, strawberry – choose your fave!)
2 Tbsp water (plus more, for soaking apples)
1 sheet of store-bought puff pastry
Cinnamon, to taste
To see how to make them, check out the video below, or just follow these simple written instructions!
How to Make Apple Roses
These delicious baked apple roses are a perfect way to impress your Valentine. Or woo them any day of the year!
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Take halved, cored, unpeeled apples and carefully slice very thin (see how in the video above). Put slices in a microwave safe bowl and cover with water. Add the juice of half a lemon. Microwave for 3 minutes to soften the slices and make them more pliable for rolling up.
3. In another bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of fruit preserves and 3 tablespoons of water.
4. Roll out puff pastry and slice into rectangular strips about 2 inches (or a little less) wide. (Again, the video has better details on this part.)
5. For each strip, spoon a little of the fruit preserve mixture onto the dough and spread. Place apple slices overlapping along the length of the dough. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and fold pastry dough up over apples. Finally, starting from one end, roll the entire thing up and place dough side down in a greased muffin tin.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before removing from tin.
Awesome! You've just learned how to make apple roses! Who's going to use these to make it the best (tastiest) Valentines Day ever? :D