Found this video being shared around and thought it was pretty interesting! Basically, this guy breaks down Slice of Life anime (which is a pretty broad category) into more specific types of SoL. Many anime can cross between the shows as well.
1: Gag-driven Slice of Life
* Building up to comedic climax for the most part
* Still just being relatable & sentimental while still sticking to the sitcom style
* Can sometimes watch in any order
Nichijou, Lucky Star, The Daily Lives of High School Boys, Sakamoto-desu ga?
2: Cute Girls Doing Cute Things
(or boys :D)
* goal is to be charming & cute & smile inducing
Is the Order a Rabbit?, Pan de Peace,
* soothing, comforting, healing shows!
* mundane life somehow because more whimsical, beautiful & heartwarming
Hinamori Sketch, Non Non Byori, Aria
4: Character-driver Slice of Life
* this one actually has a narrative in terms of the growth of one or more character
* need depth of character & setting to be believable
K-on!, Usagi Drop
Anyways, I just loved the idea that we shouldn't just shove all similar anime into a box labelled "genre" and instead try to figure out what the show does to make it unique.