Owing to boom in digital technology data generation capacity of the world has increased to several zettabytes. Thus, business organizations too have to come up with advanced technologies to acquire, store and process huge volumes of data. Thus the role of data scientists has also become indispensable. Moreover data science is now applied in a variety of fields such as the health care system, fraud detection, intelligence gathering, sports, research and many more. Eventually the demand for data scientists has also increased at a phenomenal rate.
How much is the demand for data scientists?
● A McKinsey report on big data had claimed that in 2011 US alone faced a shortage of 140K to 190K data scientists.
● In 2017 the LinkedIn emerging jobs report suggested that data scientist roles have grown over 650% since 2012.
● According to US bureau of labor statistics by 2026 11.5 M jobs will be created in the field of data science alone.
● IBM had reported earlier that by 2020 there will be approximately 2720K jobs listings in data science.
Why opt for a data science course in Malaysia?
● Flourishing ICT industry
The ICT industry of Malaysia has constantly performed well out performing Asian giants like Japan and Korea. The country aims at ranking within the top fifteen world rankings in the United Nations Online Services Index by 2020. In 2017 the industry exported goods worth 15 billion USD and the government strives to increase the industry’s total contribution to the GDP from 13.1% to 17% within 2020. Such an industry is perfect for individuals trained in data science skills.
● Growing popularity of Big data, cloud computing and the Internet of Things
The Malaysian government has attributed the growth of ICT industry to the rising popularity of cutting edge technologies. Not only the IT but several other sectors like the government, banking, health care and education also employs data science and this is why demand for data scientists is even more in Malaysia.
● Talent gap
APEC estimates that in 2016 Malaysia had around 4000 workers in data science and analytics and the country will require 20000 trained personnel.
Thus, Malaysia provides the perfect opportunity for a hardworking candidate to secure a bright future in data science.