We all know Microsoft Office 365 is the leading provider of cloud-based Office suite services. People are using it because of its data security and attractive applications. However, no one can guarantee the complete security of your data, whether it is stored locally or stored in the cloud. It is, therefore, necessary to back up the cloud data to the local server.
As there are a lot of different email clients available. Mozilla Thunderbird, the authors of the popular Firefox web browser, is a popular freeware client. One of the best methods to back up cloud data is to export Office 365 to the MBOX file format. In this write-up, we'll tell you how to export Office 365 manually to MBOX.
Method to Export Office 365 to MBOX
There is no direct method available for such conversion. To save the cloud file into the MBOX file format, we need to configure Office 365 in the thunderbird account and use the import-export option. In this section, we will learn how to migrate Office 365 to the MBOX file format manually. This process is broken down into two parts:
1. Configure Office 365 account in Thunderbird
2. You can export MBOX file from thunderbird using the Import and Export option.
Configure your Office 365 account in Thunderbird
In this process, we will use the help of an IMAP server to access Office 365 in Thunderbird. Follow these quick steps to configure your account:
1. Launch the Mozilla Thunderbird on your system and click the menu icon and then select Options > > Account Settings > > Account Actions > > Add Mail Account.
2. Enter your Office 365 account name and password on the next window.
3. Click on to continue taking the next step.
4. Thunderbird will automatically retrieve the server settings and display them on the screen.
5. Click Done to open the Account Settings page. If the configuration is completed correctly, a newly added Office 365 account will be visible on the left panel. Close the window in that case.
6. However, for the data to be synchronized, you have to wait a while.
Export MBOX File from Thunderbird using the Import/Export Tool
Mozilla has provided a thunderbird add-on known as the Import / Export Tool. To download the extension and export the files, follow the following quick steps:
1. Open the Mozilla Thunderbird and select the tools and click the Add-on button.
2. Open the Add-on and click to see all of it.
3. Now type the Import / Export tools in the search bar and select the extensions.
4. Now click "Add to Thunderbird" and install it to the extension.
5. Close the thunderbird and reopen it after the successful installation.
6. Select the folder that you want to save to the MBOX file. Now go to Tools > > ImportExportTools > > Export folder that is selected.\
7. The selected files are exported to the required destination.
The Indirect method has its list of Drawbacks
Since the manual method consists of two separate stages, there are some limitations that can be encountered by the user during the migration process. Some of the main drawbacks are listed below:
1. Microsoft Outlook and Thunderbird must be installed on the same machine.
2. Helps to export emails only and can not be used to transport other mailbox items such as attachments, images, etc.
3. Applicable to Thunderbird only and does not support other MBOX files such as Apple Mail, Entourage, MuttMail, PocoMail, etc.
4. The integrity of the data exported (emails) is not guaranteed.