Intrauterine insemination, IUI, is a simple fertility treatment. It is also cost-effective. A sperm, that is healthy, is placed into a woman’s uterus. This is done at a particular time, that is, when she is ovulating.
The success of IUI treatment improves when it is done along with the treatment of ovulation-stimulating drugs. The husband’s sperm or donor sperm is used. Before the procedure, a thorough check-up is done to see if there is any hormonal imbalance, infection or any structural problem.
When is IUI used?
The common problems are-
● Low sperm count.
● Decreased sperm mobility.
● Unexplained infertility.
● A hostile cervical condition, including cervical mucus problems.
● Cervical scar tissue from past procedures which prohibits sperm to enter the uterus.
● Ejaculation dysfunction.
Factors for a successful IUI program:
● Healthy sperm
● Timing of IUI
● Fallopian tubes should be clear, they should not have any blockage,
● The quality of the egg should be good,
● The uterus should be well prepared,
The Insemination Procedure:
● The medical procedure is both simple and safe. The process involves threading a thin flexible catheter through the cervix. Then, the washed sperms are placed in the uterus.
● The bladder of the patient should be empty. Before the process the patient is asked to pass urine, in most cases.
● The patient is made to lie down. Her legs are raised up.
● The uterus is checked. The doctor uses forceps to hold the anterior lips. The patient feels uncomfortable, but it is painless.
● The uterus is now introduced to semen very gently. This takes about one minute.
Care of the Patient:
● At first, the patient is advised to rest for 30 minutes. Later on, she is allowed to work, travel, and eat in a normal manner.
● The couple can also go on with regular sex life.
● In the case of pain, the patient can take any prescribed medicine.
If the IUI procedure is performed each month, there may be 20% per cycle happy outcome. However, the pregnancy rates vary, since there are many factors, including age and health of the recipient, that have to be included.