Are you still bound with the platform-dependent, large monolithic applications? It is time to get over the legacy applications and to taste the fruit of microservices. You are at the right place to get started with Microservices.
The times of struggling with platform-dependent, large monolithic applications have become outdated. Now are the days to start with services that help us to deploy the same application on various platforms. Here we go with uncovering the edge of Microservices with this article.
Although the monolithic application is simple to build, it has huge limitations. The application grows over time and becomes huge. Every week or month, the development team implements a few more lines of code. As time moves, the application becomes huge & complicated. It is difficult for a single developer to understand the whole application. Thus, implementing new features and removing bugs is extremely difficult and time-consuming. The enormous size of the application holds back the pace of development
The latest applications are designed in such a way that users can push changes into production multiple times in a day. It is very difficult to do the same with a complex monolithic application.
The basic idea of microservices is to breakdown an application so that it becomes easier to build, maintain and scale.
1. Here are a few advantages of working with microservices:
2. Microservices are small and focused on specific requirement
3. It can be developed by small teams
4. They are loosely coupled that means services are independent of each other in terms of development as well as deployment
5. Scaling microservices is very easy
6. Microservices allow many ways to integrate automatic deployments by using tools like Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
7. It gives the advantage to use new cutting-edge technologies
8. High performance and flexible application
Now we shall go ahead & create a web application which is for compressing images. In this application, first, you must register yourself with the application to upload the image for compressing. We will create three microservices: WebMicroservice, Registration Microservice, and S3Microservice.
The below diagram will help you to understand the flow of Microservices Application:
AWS Account with Access Key and Secret Key
Task 1: Create WebMicroservice
1. Open STS and click on File, from the drop-down click on Import, as shown in image below:
GeneralExisting Projects into WorkspaceNext
Select archive file,
4. Open the application. properties file. Enter Server port for WebMicroservice. Enter RegistrationMicroservice url and S3UploadMicroservice url.