There was a time when it was troublesome to carry a huge amount of cash and travel. Now, then to the NFC and EMV payments which makes it easy for us to seamlessly make the payments. More and more people are now adopting the card or online payment system to make their daily transactions.
But many of us are still confused about NFC and EMV payments. So in this article, I will go through a few major differences between both this payment thing. But before that let us first get into the definition of NFC and EMV payments.
EMV (Europay, MasterCard, and Visa) is a transaction that occurs with the help of the chip-enabled card and ATM or a payment terminal. To build a secure transaction system, the EMV cards of different brands are enabled with the chips in it. All you need to do here to make a transaction is enter or swipe the card and enter the pin number and you’re done. These types of EMV payments are usually referred to as “Chip & Pin” or “Chip & Signature”. People are getting more comfortable with the EMV payment system.
Major Difference Between EMV & NFC Payments
Here are a few points on the difference between EMV & NFC Payments. Let us go through all of them one by one.
● EMV has a chip authentication which helps the card to be saved from the fraud. Due to this chip before every transaction, a pin has to be entered without which you cannot make the transaction. On the other side, with NFC payments there is no need to carry the physical card to make any transaction. Each NFC payment is done with the help of the digital signature.
● With EMV payments consumers sometimes get confused during the end operation. But with the NFC payment, the process is easy to make the transaction as no physical contact is required.
● NFC payment can speed up the process of making payments as the procedure is quite simple. In comparison to NFC, EMV payments take a bit longer due to its procedure.
● Despite Growing popularity of NFC payments, merchants are slow in providing this facility to their customers. While there is no such issue with the NFC payments.
● The NFC enabled digital wallets to come with more security over the fraud protection in comparison to the EMV cards.
● EMV is a swipe & pin based procedure while NFC is tap & go procedure.
Importance of NFC and EMV Payments
The endpoint here is whether NFC or EMV, both payments have their own importance to make the transactions easy for the users. We can say that both are secure ways to make payments on a daily basis. Over the next few years, there will be a huge rise in the people using these technologies to make their daily transactions. As your requirements, you can choose any one of them for your use too.
The changing situations and technology will let more and more people move towards these payment systems in the near future.