The word loft generally refers to an apartment with a large adaptable open space that is often a converted light industrial building or commercial space. In yesteryears, lofts didn’t always get optimised to their complete potential, people usually just saw it as a room to stuff junk or unnecessary stuff in. But nowadays, we see loft houses becoming extremely popular. It may even be called an eco friendly design as these houses maximize their space by eliminating the majority of interior walls and utilizing an open floor plan.
Most loft spaces do not have four walls, but they do offer valuable square footage that people use in a home. Lofts are usually renovated from attics, barnes and many other spaces. There is no restriction in the matter of size because no matter how small or big, lofts are usually all about maximizing the space to its fullest potential.
The first step in making the most out of your space is to decide how you want it to function. From there, the planning can start. Listing down several ways to turn this awkward area into a functioning space is the best way to go about it.
Ideas for Converting your Loft Spaces into a fun and interesting space -
1. When it comes to designing , furniture plays an important role in making your loft a whole lot aesthetically pleasing. Creating a cosy sitting area with your choice of furniture in it can make it a great lounging space. The furniture to be used in your loft should be chosen wisely as it can either make your space look cluttered or fantastic. The furniture and interiors should complement each other and bring the whole space together in a way that makes it a perfect spot for you to come and chill in.
2. Turn the space into a home library. Choosing the right types of bookshelves is the key to turning your loft into a library. Without the right bookshelves filling your space, you will simply have a seating area in your loft. There are plenty of designs that you can choose from. Bring in a comfy chair or two and add a blanket to make it even cosier. You can even add a fireplace , turning it into the most ideal spot to catch up on some reading. Consider installing a multilevel window for a truly inspiring view.
3. A home office is a great way to utilize loft spaces. These types of spaces are becoming increasingly popular, especially with small businesses and creative companies, giving their employees the freedom to work from home. Bring in a desk for a clean and organized feel to the area. An easy way to keep things out of sight is to hide your desk area in a cabinet, that way it can be closed when it is not being used. Home office colours do not have to be neutral but of the color that you like. Colour can inject energy into a room, helping you feel motivated and inspired, all the time.
4. Turn the space into a kids study area. When you have children and you want to make sure they have an enjoyable experience while studying, this idea is for you. Natural light from the window will keep them energized, so a kid’s workstation should be placed around the glass. Bring in some indoor plants and you could even add a study bar along a wall with fun barstools. Just because it’s a work area does not mean it has to be boring. Have some fun with the items in the work zone, like going for some creative shelving in a bold colour-way. You can also lay down artificial grass mats to give the space a sense of the outdoors.
5. A spot to indulge in creativity, the space can be turned into a craft room where one can get creative with storage by utilizing repurposed armoires or opt for built-in cabinets, installing large vintage sideboards with extra storage will be a great option to fill it with craft supplies. If you’re more of an eco friendly person, then go grab those old curtain rods because they are a perfect way to display wrapping papers in an unused space between the cabinets. Colours matter the most in a small space. To make the area look clutter-free, choose storage units in neutrals or varying shades of bright, creativity-inducing colours. Throw in some bright lights and you’re good to go.
6. A game room can be a fun use for the space. You could set up a pool table, football, air hockey or any sport of your choice. It’s a great way to turn the space into a place where one can unwind. Adding a home projector can make it even more fun. Comfy couches remind you that there is always time to relax between your games of saving the universe. If you want to have that arcade kind of a feeling, you can always add a handful of neon lights. Make sure you add plenty of comfy seats or opt for deep-seated sectional ones to make room for all your friends and family members who come there to have a gala time.
7. Create a teen lounge where the big kids can hang out with their friends. A teen lounge shouldn’t look like a boring living room so I suggest you let your teens throw in splashes of colours. Decorate the space with lots of comfortable seating with nice fabrics and some pattern rugs and cushions. Bring in a TV for video games and movies. Artsy paintings on the walls can also be a good idea for the teens with creative sides. A small snack station could be set up with a mini-fridge, microwave and baskets of snacks.
8. Bring in some workout equipment and turn this space into a home gym. Once your loft has been converted, you should make sure that the floor, especially, is extremely spacious. We would suggest having a wood flooring over carpet as it is easier and faster to clean. Clever storage always seems to be the highlighting point in almost all the loft conversions. A loft space would also make a great yoga room. This doesn’t just give you flexibility and privacy but also a custom-made space of your own. If you love to dance, you can always turn it into your very own personal dance studio. Put in full length mirrors as mirrors give us the illusion of a larger space. Do not forget to ensure that there is a source of adequate ventilation in the room.
9. Give the kids a special place by setting up a kids room and having plenty of storage for toys. This will help if your house has become a big disorganised mess with toys scattered all over the place. There are plenty of exciting ideas that you can use to give your kids the playroom that they will adore. Painting the room with neutral colours can be just as boring. Make it colourful but don’t forget to ask your kids what colour they prefer so that the space feels more personal to them. Make sure the flooring of this room is easy to clean because kids can be clumsy at times. While letting the lights in, don’t forget the natural light too. There should be proper windows to this space making it a healthier place for your kids. Add some practical storages and you’re done.
10. The space can also be turned into a laundry room. This would most likely need an additional plumbing and a vent for the dryer. Make sure the space gets enough air as you would want to hang some clothes as none of us like the idea of mold forming on our clothes. Spill some waterproof paints on the walls for an additional bonus. Build shelves that can be used for keeping everything in place . Create a workstation from furniture that you already have, stash some laundry baskets under it and you’re good to go.
It is very important to decide on what your needs are for the space in order to make the most of it. Loft conversions are one of the simplest and most cost-effective ways to increase your home's size, habitability, and value. With all our experience, we can turn almost any loft into a living space, even though other loft companies have assured you they can't. We are here to support, advise, and make your home a place that you enjoy being in. We work with you at every level, along with our team of experts, overseeing the entire project from start to finish, to turn your loft into the heart of your home and build a bespoke space that will be enjoyed by the whole family.