Most drivers who encounter a car accident will find themselves in a state of shock and unsure of what to do. Here’s a step-by-step guide on what to do if you should ever find yourself in such an unfortunate situation:
1. No matter how small the accident, you must stop your car, turn off your engine, turn on your hazard lights and check if any of the passengers have been injured.
Image taken from The New Paper - Showing an overturned car in Singapore
2. Make sure you take down the following information and particulars of the other parties involved:
- Vehicle Registration Number
- Name/Address/NRIC of the driver and his/her passengers
- Contact Number
- Name of any witness (at the road side too!)
- Name, address, and phone number of Police officer (just to play safe)
- Vehicle make and model
- Vehicle color
Use your mobile phone to capture pictures and videos of the accident if you are not hurt.
Image taken from CNA - Showing car that smashes into the road side
3. If the accident has caused property damage or if you should reasonably require medical attention, notify the police and emergency medical services of the accident.
4. Immediately notify your car insurance company of the accident.
5. Make a copy of this article for use in whatever legal court action that may ensue over this matter.
How important is car insurance?
In Singapore, every driver must have car insurance. It is mandatory by law. Hence, it is important for car owners to understand what is covered, how much of the expense is covered, and what records are included should the plan be activated.
Most of the plans that are offered through the purchase of a new car offer a comprehensive coverage that lasts for at least 1 year. On the other hand, some plans only cover the auto parts that need to be replaced, and do not cover unusual repair bills, or major maintenance. That is why you need to buy a car insurance that will offer broader, more comprehensive, and more comprehensive coverage.
Here are some points that should be considered when evaluating different car insurance plans.
How does the additional drivers’ insurance claim work?
Buying car insurance online:
Claiming your insurance: claim your car insurance