With extensive growth in software development activities globally, there is a need to carry out software testing activities quickly and efficiently. For achieving this specific purpose, test automation services come into perspective.
The significance of a framework:
Following is a simple example to make you understand the value of a framework.
A typical scenario of attending a conference/seminar/lecture is to follow the guidelines mentioned below:
· The seats should be occupied by the participants 5 – 10 mins before the lecture
· The mobile phones should be on silent mode
· A pen and notebook can be bought for taking notes
· If you want to leave in the middle of the program, then you can take the exit gates that are at the opposite end of the speaker
· All the questions of the participants will be taken up after the lecture is completed.
There is no doubt that a seminar/lecture/conference can be conducted without mentioning the above guidelines. But, if the guidelines are followed, better outcomes can be expected, like a deeper understanding of the subject matter, increased participant retention and reduced distraction during lectures.
Based on the scenario mentioned above, it is wise to develop a framework that can be defined as a set of guidelines that can produce beneficial results if followed accordingly.
What is a test automation framework?
It is a set of guidelines that include object repository, test-data handling, coding standards, etc. If these guidelines are followed during automation scripting, then beneficial outcomes like reduced script maintenance cost, higher portability and increased code re-usage can be produced.
Following are the three key reasons that depict the need of frameworks for test automation:
1. The scripting process is made easier:
Through a software automation testing framework, all the coding data can be consolidated together so there is no chance of code being duplicated.
2. Evaluating an application’s scalability:
The framework’s scalability can be properly understood once the small project is expanded to a bigger one. For example, a single blog page must be transformed into an entire website. Testing it manually will prove to be a time-consuming process. But, if an automation framework is implemented, the entire process can be completed within a few minutes or hours, depending on the project size.
3. Reporting activity can be carried out quickly and easily:
Conclusion: test automation framework